Amp Motor Works plans to provide a service converting some Saturn car models into plug in electric cars. In their first model, the customer provides the Saturn Sky and a payment for the electric conversion. The company then takes out all the gasoline motor parts and puts in a fully electric drive train. It should get about 150 miles on a charge. The company has plans for an SUV and a 5 passenger car conversion as well.
Article about the Amp Motor Works electric conversion: Link
Amp Motor Works: Link
Want something a little more extreme? Try out the Tesla: Link
This is a good interview of Neil Young by Charlie Rose of PBS. The discussion discusses much more than his long music career, but his creative process. Particularly interesting is the section on the war in Iraq and the state of energy in the United States. Asked how long the war would go on, Young replied something to the effect of “This war will go on until we resolve our energy problem. It is going to be a very long war.” Neil Young has been involved in helping to foster new technologies to change our transportation system. Not all of his technical information is accurate, but he is working towards a solution, not just standing by.
Charlie Rose interviews Neil Young – Link–
Neil Young’s website: Link
Interview about his car project: Link
Linc-Volt Neil Young’s car is an entry in the Automotive X Prize: Link
- Manufacturing Design for Locally Sold Products
- Modern Designers are thinking with their hands
- Sick of buying gasoline? Go Electric!
- Nintendo DS Homebrew
- Learn 2 Teach Project Exposition, August 15, 2008
- Feedback from Roslindale Community Center
- Design Presentations for IDDS
- Solar Breakthrough Aimed at Artificial Photosynthesis
- Takira demonstrates her work with the Thermistor
- Nelson Mandela