Learn 2 Teach, Teach 2 Learn is a community based program where teens between the ages of 14 19 teach others in their community about technology, creativity and problem solving.
Youth Teachers from previous years applied to participate this year. They became this year’s Returning Youth Teachers, then interviewed and hired their high school aged peers. The new Youth Teachers were then trained by the Returning Youth Teachers in a series of Saturday sessions during the school year. At the start of the Summer, all the Youth Teachers worked together to train each other and make sure they were proficient in Digital Fabrication, Alternative Energy, Gimp Photo Creation, HyperScore Music Composition, Scratch Programming and Pico Robotics.
In the Teaching phase, the Youth Teachers travel by public transportation throughout the City of Boston to community centers where they then teach elementary and middle school aged learners in each of the technologies. During the same time period, they work in groups to create an interactive multimedia project designed to help raise awareness and solve a problem they have identified in their community.
The Learn 2 Teach, Teach 2 Learn program was created by Mel King with assistance from the MIT Media Lab and is funded in part through a grant from the American Honda Foundation.
No comments yet.
Leave a Reply
- Manufacturing Design for Locally Sold Products
- Modern Designers are thinking with their hands
- Sick of buying gasoline? Go Electric!
- Nintendo DS Homebrew
- Learn 2 Teach Project Exposition, August 15, 2008
- Feedback from Roslindale Community Center
- Design Presentations for IDDS
- Solar Breakthrough Aimed at Artificial Photosynthesis
- Takira demonstrates her work with the Thermistor
- Nelson Mandela